Nordic and Nowi
have partnered to develop an energy autonomous version of the Nordic Thingy:91
, an easy-to-use prototyping platform for cellular IoT using LTE-M, NB-IoT and GPS. The energy autonomous Thingy:91 plug-in board enables the user to develop LTE-M or NB-IoT sensor applications which can operate indefinitely without any battery replacement or recharging. With this new plugin board, Nowi has again showcased its strong commitment to reducing industry reliance on primary batteries which are very harmful to the environment.
The plug-in uses Nowi’s Codium Energy Harvesting PMIC
with an onboard voltage supervisor for over voltage protection. The plug-in is specifically designed to easily add energy harvesting to applications running on the Thingy:91. It includes various features like current measurement capabilities, pin-to-pin compatibility with Nordic’s Power Profiler Kit II
to optimize the power consumption of the application.
The key features and components of this accessory board are:
• Codium (NH2D0245) energy harvesting PMIC
• Plug-in Photovoltaic (PV) panel expansion board
• Interface for Codium’s output current measurements
• Compatible with Nordic Semiconductor’s Power Profiler Kit II (PPK2)
• Voltage supervisor to protect the battery of the Nordic Thingy:91